Mt. Zion Block Church History
On May 24, 1846 the Long Point Christian Church was organized. In 1871 the name was changed to Mt. Zion. A new Church building was erected in 1890 and 1891. Dedication ceremonies were held the 4th Sunday of September, 1892.
In 1963, with a lot of strong Faith and $96.00 in cash the members of the Mt. Zion Church launched an improvement project. More space was needed and it was decided that a basement under the frame Church building would be the answer. New concrete steps and landing was also installed.
Four years later the members of the Church decided to remodel. In January 1967, the walls were paneled and a new low ceiling was installed with recessed lighting. In a few months it was paid for, so in May, 1967 we bought a new piano. The Glenn Heirs donated new draperies for the Church, on December 15, 1971.
The Church building was completely destroyed by a tornado on December 15, 1971. Plans are being made to put up a new Church building as soon as possible.
(Article written by Mrs. L. A. Roan on December 23, 1971)
This cemetery is located about 5 miles southwest of Greenup, on the Hazel Dell road, Greenup Township, Cumberland County, Illinois.
[pdb_list fields=”who,note” filter=”location=BLOCK”]