Vote for consolidation of Cumberland County schools carried during 1948. The district was organized in 1949 with Theodore Cutright as president of the Board of Directors and Leroy Baker as superintendent. They were ready to name the school and decided on Cumberland, but what district number? Theodore suggested #77. He said this was Red “The Galloping Ghost” Grange’s football jersey number. Red Grange played at the University of Illinois in the 1920s when Theodore attended. So it was named Cumberland Unit #77.
A new high school building was occupied in December 1952, located on a 39 acre site along Route 121 between Greenup and Toledo. The estimated enrollment was 343 high school students during that first year. In 1992, the enrollment was 315 students.
In May 1953, the first citizenship award was presented to a graduating senior from the Mae O. Baker trust fund. This fund was established from the estate of the late Mae O. Baker, to be awarded yearly based on kindness, personality, cooperativeness, integrity and industry.
The gymnasium was not completed until January 1953, allowing only one game to be played that year. On December 7, 1974, the gymnasium was dedicated to Coach Wm. Waldrop and named Waldrip Gymnasium. He had been a basketball coach and teacher for several years in the Greenup High School.
Sports offered in 1992 were football, volleyball, cross-country, boys & girls basketball, wrestling, boys & girls track, baseball and softball.
An elementary building was completed west of the high school on the same 39 acre site in 1967. All the students at the elementary centers were bused to this point for their 1967-68 school year in the new building, with an enrollment of 888 students. Equipped with a library, cafeteria, gymnasium and plenty of classrooms to accommodate kindergarten through junior high. In 1992, band, chorus, and special education were offered. Baseball, softball, basketball, volleyball, boys & girls track were offered as sports.